How To Become A Video Editor In Nigeria And make money from it.
Working as a video editor requires creativity and can be fun, fulfilling, and well-paid work. Here’s how to learn video editing and become successful in it
In this article, we will look at:
- How To Become A Video Editor In Nigeria And make money from it.
- What does a Video Editor Do?
- Steps to become a video editor and make money from it
- Steps to Make Money as a Freelance Video Editor in Nigeria
- Skills and Knowledge of a Video Editor
- Careers Available for a Video Editor
- How to get a well-paying job in Nigeria as a video editor
- Where do you start if you want to become a video editor?
For those who want to work in the media and entertainment industries? Video editor isn’t the job that immediately springs to mind, but it is a skill that’s definitely in high demand right now.
There are so many job opportunities for video editors now. This is because videos have become so important in this digital age, people love to watch videos than reading a long article on social media using their smart phones.
This articles also shows you practical ways to become successful and make money as a freelance video editor in Nigeria >> Steps to Make Money as a Freelance Video Editor in Nigeria
So if you are a creative person, video editing skill may be all you need to get that well-paying job you have always wanted.
This articles will shows you how to become a professional video editor and get a well-paying job with your video editing skills
Working as a video editor is a creative career and a well-paid work because its high in demand now. Video editing as the name implies is the process of editing segments of motion video production footage, special effects and sound recordings in the post-production process using specialized software programs.
Professional editing goes beyond the kind of small edits done on your mobile devices on pictures or videos. For example, A typical video editor that wants to work on a reality TV show, will go through footage from four or five cameras, each running for 20+ hours, just to create one 15-minute episode.
Video editors help make television, movies, and other forms of media come to life by manipulating and editing video to convey a story or message.
What does a Video Editor Do?
A video editor examines videos for editing purposes, looking for errors, segments that run long or parts that do not match the story or go with the storyline. He/ She will work with others adding sounds, voices and music that match the script and place them in the appropriate place.
With the computer and advanced technology, a video editor’s duty job became increasingly more complex using computer graphics to aid in editing films and supplying the necessary elements to create the finished product.
Steps to become a video editor and make money from it
Video editing requires specialized software, so a video editor needs to master such tools such as Adobe Premier Pro, Final Cut Pro, and Media Compressor. and be creative with its use. You need to have a strong understanding of both aesthetics and storytelling, because you must be able to see in your mind’s eye how to tell the best storyline visually and how the final result should look like to your audience.
A successful video editor needs to be focused and pay keen attention to detail in their work.
You also need to be a good problem solver, as video editing often presents inflexible riddles, such as how to cut a segment by 25 seconds without removing certain essential elements of the narrative.
Being a successful digital video editor means being proactive especially if you want to be a freelancer so your name represents your brand.
Bear in mind that in a video editor’s world time is money. Most clients want their work done as fast as possible, but sometimes you need to let them know if their work is rushed, it will lead to a low-quality work which no one wants.
Finally, you also need good communication skills, as a video editor you will always need to liaise with other production staff, including the director, in order to ensure filming runs smoothly and content is delivered to deadline. Making a movie is actually a combined effort.
Steps to Make Money as a Freelance Video Editor in Nigeria
You can become successful and make money as a freelancer if you follow the steps below . The best ways to find video editing jobs as a freelancer are:
- Signing up on freelance websites and job boards.
- Contacting small businesses in your area.
- Contacting Youtube networks and channels.
So let’s take a closer look!
Freelance websites to find video editing jobs
If you are a beginner, you can get hands-on experience on websites dedicated to helping freelancers find work.
Here are my favorite freelance websites:
- Fiverr – the world’s largest freelance services marketplace.
- PeoplePerHour – a website where freelancers can bid on jobs.
- Upwork – a platform that connects top companies to talented freelance workers.
- Flexjobs – for about $15 a month, you get access to a list of remote jobs.
- TopTal – through a rigorous screening process, TopTal identifies the best freelancers and connects them to potential employers.
Some websites are also dedicated to video editing jobs:
- ViEdit: get paid to create business videos, social media clips, home videos, travel movies, and more.
- Tongal: they hire writers, animators, videographers, and editors to make videos for businesses
Job boards to find video editing jobs
If you are an experienced video editor, you can find jobs on:
- Behance: a great place to upload your creative portfolio. It also has a job board where you can find video editing jobs.
- ProductionHUB: a global network of vendors that serves the video production industry.
Edit Youtube videos or create your own youtube channel
Let’s face it: Youtube is massive.
More and more YouTubers and networks need video editors. That is an excellent opportunity to get some hands-on experience.
The downside is that editing YouTube videos usually doesn’t pay well. Most YouTubers will promise to pay a percentage of their income or pay you with exposure.
Remember that you can’t eat exposure.
But you can also start your own YouTube channel. If you don’t know what to create a YouTube channel on, go to YouTube and look at existing channels and you will definitely see the topic you can do videos on.
Don’t focus on the money in the beginning, just have fun creating videos and learning. The money will come as you grow
Also, remember to go niche
Choosing a niche to create videos on can make all the difference
I see that a lot of video editors specialize to get a competitive advantage.
For example, I have seen that some freelancers specialize in wedding video editing.
They team up with wedding organizers to get an edge over their competition.
And it works: people often pay a lot of money to make sure that their romantic moments are well-edited.
Contact local businesses
Here is a list of local businesses that might need a video editor:
- Event organizers (festivals, weddings, etc.) often need to promote their events with video.
- Contact marketing agencies in your area. Every market has its local advertising, and those commercials need to be edited.
- Some local businesses also need to publish videos on social media.
Skills and Knowledge of a Video Editor
You will need to have such skills as the following in order to dominate the industry.
- Editing skills with a thorough knowledge and experience of editing software and equipment.
- Communication skills. You are sure to work with other professionals like journalists, writers, producers, directors, and even clients. Your ability to communicate effectively is very necessary.
- You must have knowledge of visual and sound effects. This will help you to enhance the video you are working on.
- Good knowledge of the production process. you should not be limited to just editing of videos, knowing other aspects of the job is an added advantage.
- You should be able to use video and music to tell a story, as well as interpret ideas skillfully.
- Good time management and interpersonal skills are also very important.
Roles of a Video Editor
Videos editors are tasked with the skills and ability to edit and assemble recorded raw materials into a suitable finished product that are ready for use. They should be able to produce photos and videos as a way of communicating a company’s and individual’s messages using online platforms.
Materials to be used to carry out your duty as a video editor include camera footage, dialogue, graphics, sound effects, as well as special effects.
Careers Available for a Video Editor
Video editors can work as:
- Television studio editor
- Film editor
- Senior video editor
- Broadcast and sound engineering technicians
- Multimedia artist and animator, etc.
How to get a well-paying job in Nigeria as a video editor
One thing that can help you get a well-paying job in Nigeria as a video editor is if you are very good in video editing and you can be creative.
This you can’t achieve by watching one or two YouTube videos on video editing. To be good in video editing and move to the professional level, you need practical hands-on training from experienced video editors who will also help you think in a creative way.
Where do you start if you want to become a video editor?
You might be wondering can I be a video editor without going to a film school? The answer is yes.
What you need is the right training with a practical hands-on and experience. Training and experience as a video editor go hand in hand. You can’t start working as a video editor without training of course, because you first need how to use the software, and understand the basic concepts and processes of video editing.
At Bizmarrow Computer Training School, we guarantee practical hands-on training for all our students, where an instructor will be assigned to train you from scratch till you become a professional video editor. This will give you the right start to begin your career as a video editor.